Friday, December 14, 2012

Rain Again Today...Check the Mayan Calendar!

Do you ever want to tell the world, sorry a dog ate my homework, nothing to blog about today...Well, today is one of those days for me. Plenty happening all around me, unfortunately not much that I can write about. So I have a feeling today's blog will be just like my good friend Janie Kelly Fogg....short and sweet!
For the third Friday in a row we have rain in Dubai. Today was more of scattered sprinkles, but the forecast for the next few days calls for mid 70's temperatures and a 20% chance of rain. I have seen more clouds in the last month than in the the first 2 and a half years combined. Who would have thought that living in the desert would have been so dry? Lol, after today just two more blogs in 2012.

Looking out my balcony today, I can see the Christmas lights on my neighbors tree. The spirit of Christmas hasn't hit me yet, although the malls have plenty of decorations. They usually start their sales about two weeks before Christmas here, so I imagine I am just about to get help in finding that Christmas spirit. I had Fred send money to my parents (they read the blog, but don't worry, the money arrived yesterday, so the holiday green surprise won't be ruined). My nephew and nieces also will get cash, one nice joy about being half way around the world, cash gifts are acceptable. I need to make my Christmas list for Dubai, hmmm - it won't be a long list.

Speaking of Christmas cheer, Kelly surprised me today with an invite to lunch. It was nice meal (at Texas Roadhouse of course) but the company was splendid. She listens to my droning on about all the issues that I feel like I am facing, and just looks at me with those big doe like eyes and its all better....It's nice to have a friend close by, when I am so far away from so many that I miss. Who would have thought that I would have ever been capable of homesickness...I may just have to have a party for my new Barakat employees, hopefully my predominately Hindu workers will want to enjoy a Christmas get together.

There has been a massive road building project going on for the last five years in Dubai. The main highway that runs next to my Sandoval Garden flat is Al Khail Road. Just one year ago, it was 8 lanes between my apartment and the 8 miles or so to Dubai Mall. Most of those lanes have been closed during the road work and there were three large round abouts and multiple speed bumps to make the drive seem longer than it really was. They now have opened two new exchanges (only one big round a bout left) and the 14 lanes have been opened up for most of the way.

No pictures, nothing fun to blog about...sorry...Next week I will share the latest Transmed employee that has resigned and is joining the Barakat team....Something to look forward to???
Oh one last thing, my great friend Lee Croy sent me a note correcting me on my previous blog when I stated that we were almost through "pouring the concrete" at our new 25,000 foot warehouse. Now according to Lee, if you "pour concrete" there is too much water in the mix, of sand, gravel, and cement. Lee referred me to a website that would explain this engineering marvel to me. Well the problem occurred when I actually read the info on the link Lee sent me, and it mentioned "pouring concrete"...lol. Well, Lee frustratingly replied to me that the site he linked me to was also wrong (hmmmm)...Well Lee, you will be happy to know, I inquired with Mahesh (world famous Barakat engineer and my personal sidekick/Psychic) and he backed you....You "lay" concrete, you don't pour it...with that I stand corrected, and you may have learned one more thing from keeping up with the always educational and sometimes entertaining "Great Adventure" blog...God willing, I will see you next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment