Friday, July 30, 2010

Hot hair and cold water and aggressive pharmasist!

TAIT!!! (thank Alla it's Thursday- the weekend is here!

I decided to get my hair cut at the Dubai Mall earlier this week...I was looking scruffier than normal, so there is a hair salon on level LG called "Super Trim". I walked in expecting a full staff of Phillapino women, doing their sing songie "good afternoon sir, would you like a haircut?" I was suprised to find a full complement of Lebanese men (I think there were 8 of them). I normally prefer a member of the fairer sex to give me a trim, so I hesitated, but all of a sudden it seemed more awkward to walk out then to check my homophobia at the door and get spruced up. I sat down and the hairdresser asked me to wash my hair, after a nice shampoo, he moved me to his chair where he did a decent job clipping away with his scissors. Then he applied a little goop. wallah, we were finished...no? Not so fast, he cleans the hair from my ears (yes it's growing faster there than on top of my noggin) brushes off my neck and shirt. and as I prepare to reach for my billfold, he firmly grabs my shoulders and starts a massage....now this is totally out of left field for me, and I quickly scanned the room to see if anybody else was watching this guy...the next thing I know he has moved from my next to my hair, the perfect coiffed that I had enjoyed suddenly became "bed hair". It was a very uncomfortable 5 minutes. but after my scalp massage, I suddenly felt goo,m I paid my 60 Dirhaims and skidaddled out of there...I shared this with the guys at work the next morning, and they got a chuckle out of my discomfort.

I had run out of cold medicine and needed to go to the pharmacy ( there are several in the mall). I have never met a more tenacious sales lady. I walk into the store and this 20 something Phillapino Lady(detecting any trends?) approaches me and asks to help me, I tell her that I have this cold and need some medicine to help stop the miserable hack that I have developed. We walk to the "cold remedy counter" and she says, "Kind sir, I have what you need to grow your hair back" Ouch. that was a gut shot, so. I mumbled no thank you, she replied "no problem, how bout a drink to get rid of your fat belly...yes, you are correct to assume, I will not be returning to that store, as the truth did not set me free.

As previously noted, it has probably averaged 113 or so degrees this July here in Dubais. at night in July and August it doesn't always cool to the 80's...yes it is hot..So with the incredible heat. we found out the water deal. When you want warm water you turn the knob to cold. The outdoor pipes that run the water into the house heat up so much it that they turn their water heater off and bath in that very warm water. Now for cold water, they use the hot side, and since most commercial washing equipment is indoors and the water heater is turned off, that water chills a little more each day due to the air conditioning blowing on the powerless hot water heater.
Well. I am old and tired, it is time to go. This weekend I move into my new pad...

Hope you are doing well,

John

4 comments:

  1. Have you been to the market yet? or is it too hot to be outdoors? There's got to be a pool around there somewhere that you can cool off in...

    Too funny about the extra "help" at the pharmacy:)

    Still waiting on pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. trend detected...remaining hopeful;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Home from vacation so I caught up on your blogs. Your life is sounding so interesting and I am somewhat jealous of your adventures....however I am not at all jealous of the 115 degree temp and horrible humidity. Obviously I need to plan a visit in the cooler months!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its stunning .. astounding and amazing too. I 'm going to impart this post to my companions. Much obliged to you to such an extent. Keep it up !!

    Hair Salon Water Heaters
    UNIVERSAL HEATING SOLUTIONS

    ReplyDelete