Sunday, November 7, 2010

Sunday odds and ends...

Sorry I am a tad late with an update....It was a busy busy weekend. Our new Purchasing manager arrived from the United States. His name is Richard. I worked with him in the late 90's at SYSCO Atlanta. He was Vice President of merchandising then, I remember him as a happy gentlemen that worked hard, but always had a friendly smile and a word of encouragement. Well, 12 years later, nothing seems to have changed. He is as nice as I remembered, and just a sweet man. His first at the |Gulf Tower was today....His desk faces mine...I am so excited that he is here.
The weather is awesome. High 80's - low 90's everyday and partly cloudy...Still have a zero chance of rain. I am waiting for that first time I see any chance of rain.  I saw where it snowed back in Russel County, Virginia...I am calling my parents in a little bit, and I am sure the first thing I will hear about is the snow and how much is in the driveway...
I was a little melancholy today on my drive back from Abu Dhabi. I can't wait for visitors. Fred is coming in January. My parents in February. maybe a discreet mystery guest somewhere in between...it will be great.
They have been filming Mission Impossible 4 in Dubai the last couple of weeks. There must be an exciting Burj Khalifa scene, because the people dangling from the building and the helicopters buzzing around it have been quite apparent the last 10 days or so. I snapped a few pictures and posted them on facebook. It will be great for all of you to see the movie so you can see where I am at. I wonder how long we will have to wait...next summer or holidays 2011.
Work is mixed, lots of progress in fixing the issues, and shaping the company into Bob's vision (a little bit of John in there)...actually, Bob is very hands off on how I run sales and protein decisions...as much as we bicker (like an old married couple) we are very much in tune with how to run things...It is easy to remember why I love working for Bob. He is very supportive, and he genuinely cares about me...there is no doubt that I have his back...sales are strong...we continue to have record weeks, and most of the sales people appear to be excited.
Well Sunday football just kicked off, yes my Cowboys stink, but it is still my favorite tv of the week (that and true blood)...
I enjoyed a Diwali party on Friday night. It is like Christmas for Indian Hindu's. All the Indian dwellings are adorned with Christmas lights, and candy is handed out liberally. Next week (10 days away) is EID (2)...I will blog about it next week, but in a nutshell a Muslim holiday, that is three days long...it falls perfectly this year on Tuesday, Wed, Thursday, followed by the weekend...5 day weekend, not bad...
One last thing, as most of you are aware, I am a die hard conservative Republican, my Lebanese reps have been excited for me with the big election victories...it has been fun to hear them talk about it....
Love to hear from you....I miss my friends and America.

John

No comments:

Post a Comment