Friday, July 20, 2012

Welcome to Ramadan 2012

I wake up this morning to the beginning of my third Ramadan in the UAE. As a reminder, Ramadan is a 30 day period of fasting that is celebrated every year by Muslims all over the world. It is a holiday that moves (approximately10 days earlier each year - next year will begin around July10th) in relation to phases of the moon. There is a religious "moon watching committee" that determines in each country when Ramadan begins. Ramadan started today in Saudi Arabia, Kuwait and the UAE, but doesn't begin until tomorrow in Oman.
The fasting during Ramadan is strict. Muslims may not let anything (food, water, chewing gum, or even a toothpick) pass their lips from sunrise until sunset. It is an admirable devotion if you think about being around 110 degree heat (115-120 in the next few weeks) and not taking a sip of water all day.
I know what my fine American friends are thinking, "how does that effect you, John"? Well, I do have a qualified freedom to express my religion here. The UAE is a Muslim state (98 percent of the citizen's are Muslim -1 percent Christian, 1 percent Hindu) that allows other beliefs, but expects compliance from the ex-pats that are working or vacationing here. Almost all restaurants are closed during the day - you can get a special license to stay open (about $1500) but almost no one gets this license. If you do get a permit, you have to put black curtains up so that a fasting passerby er (is that proper grammar?) does not see a patron not fasting. In my car I can not drink a beverage, or chew gum or eat anything. If I am observed breaking the fast in public I can be deported. Most likely, the first time I would be warned, but I assure you the authorities are serious, if I was defiant, or repeatedly broke the fast, if I avoided jail, I would be on the next plane out of the country. Women here must also be careful. They must dress very conservatively to avoid trouble. Last year our pal Kelly was sent home from the grocery store because she was wearing shorts. Oh well, I think you get it, some drive through' and deliveries are allowed, so I will be inconvenienced - but won't starve. when I get done writing this, I will go to Subway for my breakfast, but I will have to bring it home to eat.
I begin this Ramadan working at Barakat. The employees are overwhelmingly Hindu. So, I will be able to drink my Diet Cokes in my office and other than when I am out of the building it will have limited effect on me. Transmed was a Muslim dominated company, so I was very aware of the observance my first two years here, we will see the difference this year.
Well while we are on to serious things, it has been an eventful week here in Dubai. The US Navy fired upon a fishing boat with 6 Indians (some reports say 4) and two Emirate's on board. Unfortunately, one of the Indians was killed, and 3 other are in critical condition in the hospital). They were returning from a deep sea fishing trip in the Persian Gulf. There is heightened tensions in the Gulf, with the sabre rattling going on between Iran and various different Western allies (including our very good ally the UAE). After the attack on the USS Cole small craft are aggressively dealt with if they approach too closely and apparently this fishing group made that mistake. There was some anti-American ranting in the media here, as the incident versions are being disputed. In the end though, thankfully India and the UAE are probably two of our best three Ally's in the region, and although it is unfortunate, I think most people are somewhat understanding of how this mistake could happen. The UAE government has issued strong warnings to boaters here, be extremely cautious around the ships patrolling the Gulf. The incident actually took place very close to where I live, right off the coast. I teased Kelly about her pleasure boating (see last week) and we both agreed it was a very sobering incident.
The interesting news of the week, was the opening of a new oil pipeline that traverses the desert of the UAE and skips the Straight of Hormuz. This is huge news for the West, as much as 25% of the oil that passes through the Straight could now go overland to the Indian Ocean, weakening Iran's ability to interfere with the flow of black gold to the industrialized west.
I always thought I would have made a good history teacher, so I hope you have enjoyed your class from today. Well, more news next week, now on the lighter side....I continue on....
My new employers have made every effort to settle me in comfortably. I have a great office, with leather furniture for my guests, an office boy that keeps my refrigerator stocked with Diet Cokes. Honestly, so far it couldn't be any nicer, or could I have been received any kinder, Now, I gotta get busy and produce some results for their investment in me. I did get to have lunch with a few of my old Transmed colleagues this week, and I really hope that I am able to maintain some of those special friendships that I was lucky enough to enjoy my first two years here. It is a time for change in my life. I think Bob has a saying, "change or die" - well who wants to die over here...lol.
I did get a nice note from Rodz on Sunday....said "read your blog, it was too long"...lol, so I don't want to get chastised this week, so let's call it a wrap.
Ramadan Kareem! (Happy Ramadan)

No comments:

Post a Comment