Friday, July 13, 2012

What exactly is Jared's secret?

In the ten days of not working while I wait for my employment Visa's to get cleared up, you would think that it would be a boring peaceful time....boring yes - peaceful....well let me share about the angriest week I have had in Dubai (all directed at one guy, and I don't even know his name).... I lease my 2011 Nissan Altima. It's a decent deal, the lease includes, insurance, all service, and even new tires...every thing except gas ($1.67 per gallon fixed across the UAE) and the "salik" (toll on the Sheikh Z highway). Last Sunday morning, my cell phone woke me up as I received a call from an Indian gentleman (my description of this fellow will change as the week progresses) from my auto lease company. It seems that my registration is expiring and they need to pick up my car and get it renewed. Well, the guy's English is so poor this conversation takes entirely too long. I politely (this time) ask for a supervisor that could understand me, as this guy needs directions to pick up my car on Monday morning (they deliver to you and swap cars and give you a loaner to use)...well, we agreed he would call Monday morning and get directions to get my auto. Monday morning arrives, and the same poor English speaking gentlemen calls (now before you defend this guy with some crap - I am taking deep breaths - he doesn't speak Arabic either, Indian and almost English, the official business language) well as you can guess he didn't miraculously learn English overnight and we quickly came to a language standoff again. We could not communicate. I asked for his supervisor, and sadly he didn't understand. Well, he said he would call back....he did not, at least not on Monday.
Tuesday around lunch time, my Good friend from India called back. I was busy at Safest Way and had bought frozen groceries (Blueberry Eggo Waffles - and no I am not receiving product placement payments lol) so I was heading home. Once again our communication was not good, but in a moment of brilliance I thought, I eat breakfast each morning at Subway, I can meet the guy there in the morning as the Subway I go to is on a major road and would be extremely easy to give directions to.
We agreed in our broken communication that he would call me first thing Wednesday morning and then I would give him directions to meet me. Well, needless to say, my pitiful excuse for a service representative did not call me Wednesday morning. Thursday morning, I took matters into my own hands, I called his cell number. He said he could meet me and I gave him directions to Subway, and he said he would be there in 15 minutes (9:15). The story (sadly) is about to get longer...
I am done eating my foot long sesame egg and cheese - with extra cheese sub combo meal (for an extra $1.50) that includes a Diet Coke and two cookies (I eat this every morning and I am gaining weight. Jared is a fraud lol). My phone rings, yes you guessed correctly, he could not find the Subway. Luckily, my Subway delivers and the Indian delivery boy is waiting for his next chance to earn an extra buck. I quickly give him the phone, and in one of the common languages that they both spoke, my car leasing guy got directions from the Subway delivery boy. Ten o'clock sharp, and in walks my leasing service consultant. He drops off his car and grabs mine and says he will be back in less than an hour. So, I smartly asked him to meet me right back at the Subway at 11 am, I run home (my cleaning boy is there, and I teach him how to make the bed with the sheets underneath the comforter!!!!). Eleven o'clock comes and my car pulls up, and the driver ends the horrible saga....not so fast, the bad part is upon us....My car registration was not completed because he did not have the proper paperwork from his companies office, sigh he would have to come get my car next week...We exchange keys, he drives off. I climb into my Altima, it is unbelievably hot (and yes the odor left by my service dude - checking the weather temps from today it was 108 degrees in Dubai at 11am) and for some reason the AC is turned off. I quickly turned it on, as I was suppose to meet Steve at Mall of the Emirates at 12:30 and I was going to hang out in the cool mall til we could meet for lunch. The air conditioner is blowing out hot air, I think that I just need to drive it for a minute to get it to cool down. Wrong again....let me share with you in temperatures approaching 110 degrees is not comfortable in a car with no AC. I am pouring sweat in my long sleeve dress shirt and business slacks, I quickly become soaked. I call my Car guy back, and I say to him, "why would you bring my car back with non working AC?"
He of course does not understand. I angrily demand to speak to a supervisor, he says...."no problem, I come get your car." I try and explain that I am headed to the mall, he says he will meet me there, in 10 minutes, just call back and give my parking location. I call back at 11:15 and say that I am on level 1 row "T". as in Tom...I get an "OK, I am almost there." I call back at 11:30 and ask where are you? He said I am on floor 2 row T. I say well I am on floor 1 level T, he says no problem, I will be right there. At 11:40 I call back and say "where are you?". he says "I am on ground floor row C". By this time, I was wondering if I ever saw the guy again and I happened to choke the life out of him, would my American Passport get me out of trouble?   I once again share my location, he says again, "no problem" I will be right there. Five minutes pass and my phone rings. It is another Indian gentlemen that he has given the phone to asking me where I am at. I am almost shouting, the new fellow (Innocently brought into my rage) starts telling me to :"chill man" the guy is just lost, no reason to be angry, of course he had no idea how angry (I believe justifiably) I had become. I tell hem where I am, and I hear him share the info to the pitiful non English Speaking...well, my leasing guy.
He finally finds me at 12:15. I am drenched, unbelievably fired up (I am contemplating just how vociferous my complaint to management at the leasing company is going to be, and if I got this fellow fired, what would become of him) and possibly his family. He climbs in my car and proceeds to say "it's too hot, something is wrong with your air conditioning" yes a no shit Sherlock moment...(sorry Mom). So he gives me his car, and drives off in my portable oven to find out what is wrong. I hurry into the Mall, anxious to get a cold soda with Steve at our 1230 lunch. I get almost to the restaurant, and my phone rings. My good friend from the leasing company has locked his ticket for parking in his car, and I have mine in my pocket. I have to walk all the way back out of the Mall and find him to give him my parking pass....At noon, the official Dubai temp was 109, but I was much hotter than that....A supervisor called me at 4 pm. My compressor is burned out, they will have my car back to me by Sunday (they hope)...no I didn't complain, my anger that I shared and him driving my hot car back for service would be punishment enough...I am a softy...lol.
My brush with heat, is just what I will have to deal with. I started writing this at 1 am local time. The official temperature was 93 degrees with 79% humidity. That makes the heat index 124 degrees, Hard to believe at 1 in the morning, it's almost enough to drive you into heat madness....I did attend a meeting with my new employers this afternoon, we discussed software and server upgrades (over $700,000 worth) that the company is in the process of evaluating and ordering. I really like everybody that I have met, and I am obviously going to be making and participating in major decisions in my job as Corporate Vice President. I should officially start on Sunday, so I will share more next week.
I have talked to Muzzy, Kelly, Juan, Hayley and others from Transmed almost everyday, but I already miss them. Kelly did share a funny story with me this week.
Kelly and her boyfriend Sammy, decided they were going to take a "fishing trip" to Oman last weekend. Well, it was an all inclusive deal, they would pick you up early in the morning drive you to Oman (3 hours to where they were going form Dubai) and it would include the fishing with a guide and lunch from your catch on the Dhow. Well, the fisherman that are reading this probably realize that you don't fish in 110 degree weather. The guide didn't even hand them a pole.lol...they sailed around in the water for 8 hours and ate sandwiches that they had packed for them...Kelly said even though they were ripped off, they had fun...poor Kelly is smitten. No fears
Kelly fans, I have not met this Jordanian stud yet, so I have yet to bless this...
My new found obsession with Safest Way found me there buying Post "Shredded mini Wheat's" and Post "Blueberry Morning" cereal (I know this is a new obsession, because I would never buy these cereals in the US) along with sweet butter chip pickles...I guess if it gives me comfort...lol.
I was lucky enough to talk this week with my awesome friend in St. Louis - Amy Bossi. She reads the blog monthly, and claims she is not bored...it was really nice catching up. Blog hits in June...334. I for the life of me can't figure out who you all are, but thank you for keeping up with me.
Rodz would complain about the blog being too long this week, so I best end it now, before I get a complaining Philipinia on my cell phone...Have a great week, and stay cool...

No comments:

Post a Comment