Friday, February 8, 2013

North Africa 101

Lot's of catching up this week, along with beginning the look at the region in my attempt at giving my friends a picture of the politics and my views where the Region is headed politically, country by country. This is the 150th blog since we started this little adventure almost 3 years ago. One of the things that excited me the most about coming to the Mid East in July 2010, was the opportunity to travel around and see the history and places that I have read about in person. I wanted to go to Egypt, see the Pyramids, check out the North African WW II battlefields where the "Desert Fox" - Rommel, led the Nazi's against the Allies in a masterful  game of chess warfare played with tanks. I wanted to meet the people of Kuwait, that I understand to this day love Americans and are extremely grateful for the saving of their country from the ruthless attack and the killing and raping of their country and the Kuwaiti citizens by a ruthless Saddam Hussein. I have heard about the beautiful country of Lebanon, and the friendliness of the people there. I made a decision early on to concentrate on getting my house in financial order first, then do some traveling around the region. In retrospect, I missed a wonderful opportunity to travel the Region, that will not represent itself in my remaining time here. In two short years, my ability to travel reasonably safely in the Middle East and North Africa have evaporated. The Arab spring championed by our Government has not made the Middle East a better place for Americans, and it remains to be seen whether it has improved the lives of the citizens of the region.
North Africa has become a hotbed of extremest politics. Looking across North Africa we can start out with a country that gives one hope. The Republic of Mali has been in the news most recently with their Government and France's attempt at keeping the country free from Al Qaeda. Mali used to be part of the French colony of "The Sudanese Republic". In the early 1960's, the country broke away from France and eventually evolved into a Democratic Republic. After many democratic reforms Mali elected their first President in the late 1990's and a young Democracy had began to flourish. Unfortunately, about 5 years ago, their was an Islamic rebellion in North Mali, that declared its area independent and established strict Islamic law. In 2012, France intervened in North Africa in an attempt to save Mali's Democratic Government. Al Qaeda is fighting back, using weapons left over from the Libyan Revolution and flooding across the Algerian border. Hopefully, this fledgling Democracy, with help from the free world will survive.
Algeria is another Democracy in North Africa. It has many political parties and is governed by a Parliament. The military also has a lot of control in the country so calling it a free Republic would be a stretch. The government is also fighting against Al Qaeda, and Great Britain is their major sponsor neighbor trying to help the country stay free and friendly to the west. Algeria was the country where Al Qaeda seized oil fields and Western workers, and eventually killed 38 Westerners, 3 of which were Americans just last month.
Tunisia is an Islamic Republic. The country is in the midst of upheaval that will start making the Western World news next week. As I write this blog, the citizens of Tunisia are marching in the streets demanding the dismantling of the current Government. The leading opposition political leader was assassinated this past week. Keep your eyes on this tiny nation.
Libya was emancipated from the rule of Qadhafi just two short years ago. This is where our Ambassador and 3 other Americans were killed in Benghazi this past fall. The country is on the right track, but will need  a lot of Western Support to stop those that are not our friends from seizing control.
Egypt was our second closest ally in the Region until the rigid regime of Mubarak was overthrown in 2011. Now President Morisi and the Islamic Brotherhood have taken over. They are not our friends and why we would give them, (yes give not sell) 20 Fighter jets and 200 tanks is beyond my comprehension.
The Sudan, Ethiopia, and Somalia are all very hostile to Americans and are rather poor countries that are controlled by "bad Guys". They engage in arm smuggling and will do whatever they want to with no fear of Western Repercussions. The countries border the Red Sea and the Suez Canal or we probably wouldn't even know who they are.
Alright class, day 1 of the Regional snapshot is complete. We will move out of Africa next week and into the Mideast.

This was a big week for Camels in the UAE. My local Subway that I blog so lovingly about went out of business on Feb. 1st. So I moved up the road to another Subway, my first day there a small pickup truck parked next to my car. In the back was a Camel.


I have to admit it was a little startling. well, things got more surreal yesterday when Joseph and I returned to RAK on a sales call. We had lunch (yes, one of my brand new ties became a casualty to cheese sauce on the very first occasion of me wearing it). Afterwards, a herd of Camels approached me in the parking lot.
I casually turned around and made a few new friends. (nice tie huh)

Interesting day with Camels. RAK is an interesting Emirate. I think you may remember me blogging last year about the coup that had one brother seizing control from the other. Well, the older brother is still in the Palace under house arrest as the younger brother rules the country. You would never know about the political upheaval from the happy Camels everywhere...lol.

There was an awful bus crash in Al Ain on Monday. A truck carrying rock and sand from a quarry crashed into a bus carrying workers from Bangladesh. 22 of them were crushed and suffocated before the trucks contents could be removed from the top of the bus. The deceased families will each receive a little less than $5,000 each to help ease the pain of losing the families bread winner. Life sometimes is so tragic.
The local Safest Way made me happy this week. New shipment of Cinnamon Toast Chex and Mt Olive Sweet Gherkins found there way into my grocery cart. Oh how the little things make me happy. Well this blog is too darn long this week, so take a breath - I will see you here next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment