Sunday, December 15, 2013

Christmas is Coming...as I think of Christmas's past...

This Christmas I will be visiting my Uncle Bob and his family for the annual family Christmas party. This has become a traditional Christmas Eve party that I have been a part of for about the last dozen years. The exception was the last 3 years, while I was in the UAE. It has become a nice tradition that I am so blessed in getting to share. We do the ole Christmas gift grab bag (you know everyone brings a gift, some are nice some are gag gifts, we take turns drawing presents and stealing others presents until the last present is unwrapped) that I look forward to. I always hope I get something good to eat or lottery tickets...Well Christmas 2012, I shared this party with my coworkers at Barakat. You must realize how different it was for RK and his staff. The employees were about 75 percent Hindu, there was 3 or 4 Christians and an equal number of Muslims. They didn't quite get the subtlety and good natured-ness of the gag gift or of stealing their neighbors present, but deep down they understood the spirit of Christmas, because I realize they did it for me. What a wonderful gesture for my Hindu coworkers to share with me...I will never forget it.

Thinking about memories that I will take to my last days, was the kindness that Elie Saber and his family shared with me. Every Christmas this kind Lebanese family invited me into their home in Dubai, and allowed me to share that warmth of the season with their entire family. They had a gift under their beautiful Christmas tree, and they shared their family Christmas dinner with me. If you have ever spent the Christmas holidays away from your family and friends by yourself - you can understand the wonderful present they gave me each and every year. Elie is the Credit Manager at Transmed, and you can only imagine the scraps the two of us would have - me pushing to sell more, Elie trying to limit the companies liabilities. In the end, he was and always will be a friend, that I will be forever grateful to know. His family had invited me to travel to Lebanon to their home in their mother country, I really regret that I never got to visit.

Speaking of Christmas regrets, I was really looking forward to Rodz spending Christmas here with me this year. Unfortunately, there is no change in her immigration status. Her file is still with the American Embassy in Manila, waiting for them to schedule her interview. I can see the stress in her eyes when we Skype, I can only hope that her interview is scheduled before Christmas, that would be the best present that I could ask for.

Springfield usually has about 19 inches of snow each winter. It has been a snowy December this year. We have already received 13 inches this year, with another storm forecasted for next weekend.
December 2103 Springfield, MO
 
I thought I might have trouble remembering how to drive in the snow and ice, but so far I navigate through the snow and ice better than riding a bike on dry pavement(lol-see last blog). I have managed to make it through the snow each day to work, and more importantly to the Waffle House each Saturday morning. It has also been brutally cold with every night in December so far being below freezing with a couple under zero.
 
Today, the blog will hit another milestone. It will have had 12,000 visits. I trust it is not too boring to all of you, I sincerely appreciate those of you that check in a couple of times a month to see what mischief I may be up to.
 
Well 10 short days until Christmas, I hope that each and everyone of my friends that read this remembers this season what Christmas is all about. Be thankful for what you have and remember it is more about giving (can be love or kindness - not just presents) than what you receive. Trust me, if you give with a good heart, the blessings you receive will be bountiful. I will kick off the New Year with a new blog, for now I wish all of you a very Merry Christmas and even a happier New Year. God Bless!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment