Sunday, December 1, 2013

It's Just Like Riding a Bike...Now Stopping and Getting off, That's Another Story...

I hope you all are enjoying your Thanksgiving weekend, I know that for my friends in Dubai, it's just another weekend, but here in America it is our second biggest "family" holiday. I spent my Thanksgiving in Austin, Texas enjoying a holiday feast with my mothers youngest brother and his family.

Dave, Dalma, Mike, Chelsee, Marinna, Dylan, BJ, Tiffany and Shannon
 
My quick photo op almost cost me a chance at the rolls as they went by. As you can see my brother Mike (he now lives about an hour away from my Uncle Dave's home) joined us. He transferred within the National Park Service and works at the LBJ Ranch in Texas. Being the history buff that I am, I will have to make a trip to check out the Ranch sometime next year.

My Uncle is now in the oil "fracking" business. His family all work for his company and they are doing quite well. His house is beautiful and grand, I especially liked the "infinity" Jacuzzi and the pool at the bottom of a waterfall. Did I mention visiting Texas sometime next year?...lol.

My purchase of a bike earlier this month had gone for nothing so far. I have gotten so out of shape that I needed to take some action while I could still tie my shoes without assistance and an oxygen tank. The plan was good, but so far the execution was not so good. It has been bad weather, too dark or just no time since I spent the bucks to improve my health. Well today was the day that would change that. I am off of work this weekend, it's in the upper 50's and the sun was shining brightly. I strapped my helmet on, and wheeled my bike out of the garage and into the street. It was a challenge to get started, but once I figured out how to get up and going, piece of cake. I rode with ease through the neighborhood, into the next subdivision over. I kept my eyes peeled for cars and made the 15 minute trek successfully to start my exercising regiment. As I approached my garage on the return, I began to think now how do I get off. Well, to make a long painful story shorter, I wiped out in my driveway. The next door neighbor's 10 year old rushed over to ask me if I was ok. Of course I said I was fine, but the truth was I was/am in pain. My elbow and knee bloodied and my confidence shattered. I struggled to get up, the embarrassment outdoing the pain - It had been almost 35 years since my last cycling foray, but I am vowing now, to get back on that bike tomorrow! I will let you know next blog how I did (if I live to share my story).

I guess this is the part of the blog where I give you a Rodz update. This part of my writing is designed to keep my mother's weekly interrogation under control and focused. LOL (just teasing mom) The State Department finally received the Visa file from the US Immigration Department. They will send the file to the Philippines to the American Embassy in Manila. The Embassy will then call Rodz to schedule an interview and fingerprinting. Within 48 hours of the interview, she will either receive her approved Visa, or she will hear the disappointing news of rejection. If her Visa is declined, she can appeal. If she is approved, she is free to travel to the US virtually immediately. Rodz is nervous, because the rejection rate in the Philippines is so high (almost 50% are declined). Keep your fingers crossed, hopefully we will have an interview scheduled or completed by the next blog on the 15th of December.

Work is going well, I have just signed a new chain to an agreement. I have a couple of other major projects that look favorable, and working for Todd is the best. I like to think I am a good Manager, but I continue to learn from Todd. I did get to chat with Kelly this week. She is still happily dating Sami, I am awaiting my wedding invite...Other than skyping with Rodz, I haven't heard from many of my UAE friends and ex colleagues. I do hear quite often from my old Barakat produce sales team. What a great group of guys they are. I regret not working more on improving their lives, while I was over seas.

I hate cutting this short, but my knee is dripping blood, and my elbow needs heat therapy.....So I hope some of you thought of me while thinking of your blessings over Thanksgiving, I know that I am proudest and most "thankful" for the remarkable friends and relationships that I have been blessed with.
See you in a couple of weeks and God Bless!


No comments:

Post a Comment