Friday, March 11, 2016

Rain, Rain Go Away...

      Hello from rain soaked United Arab Emirates. In a country with virtually no sewer systems, 24 hours of heavy rain creates a travelers nightmare. The roads became impassable when standing water has no where to go.
Dubai Industrial City - March 2016
      The above photo taken from my office looking out at the street that runs past our factory. Due to road hazards, and the realization that with darkness even more challenges for drivers, I closed our operations early and attempted to get our employees home to safety. My normal 35 minute drive back to our apartment in Motor City took a little over 2 hours. Natalie, our QA Manager was attending a training class in downtown Dubai, turned her normal 1 hour drive home to a 5 and a 1/2 hour trek - only to find her top floor apartment filled with two inches of standing water. This morning the sun is out, and it will be awhile before people here bemoan the dry weather of this desert nation.
        Rodz's parents returned home this past week, and life with us returned to some normalcy. We have been catching up on American Idol (we are down to top 10) and have taped Survivor to start back with this weekend. Some of the HBO series (Game of Thrones/Banshee) are coming soon. Entertaining evenings for us to chat after our nightly dinner out and about in Dubai. Speaking of eating, our favorite Friday shopping place (Dubai Festival City) just remodeled and opened up 4 new American restaurants right next to each other. Texas Roadhouse, Serendipity, PF Changs, and Cheesecake Factory all opened this March, and give my bride and I great lunch choices on my day off. I know what your thinking, "all this food talk, what's happening to your weight?" Not so fast, I weighed in this morning at a new 35 year low of 202 lbs. Not since my senior year of high school have I been this light. My banged up ankle is slowly getting better, so now I hope to add exercise to my diet change, and maybe tone up the new sleek John. Returning home in 3 weeks to America, it will be interesting to see the reactions to my 30 lb weight drop since November 1st. Ill fitting clothes are my biggest challenge that I plan on addressing in April.
         Two big trips are right around the corner for me. I am planning on traveling to Chennai, India ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chennai ) to visit a shrimp factory that packs for us. Chennai is in the South Eastern corner of India and is a very hot climate. Out of the fryer into the frying pan. Of course, I am more excited to return to America on April first. I have a general idea at what cities that I will be sleeping in at night, just not sure which friends homes that I will get to visit. One sure stop is my parents house in southwest Virginia on April first.
          Rodz is back to battling boredom. She loves the idea of working and having her own extra money, but she finds most jobs - work...go figure...lol. I know for her saneness she needs to find a job to keep her busy and give her more independence. It's been great to have her back home. I will try and check in before the end of March, time now to hop in the shower, and head to lunch....

No comments:

Post a Comment