Friday, October 26, 2012

Half Century...Now that's a long time...

Well it has been a whirl wind of a week. As almost all of you know, this past Monday was my fiftieth birthday. I spent the day flying 7 hours to Paris for a large food convention. Two days walking miles (I guess you actually walk Kilometers in Europe and the Middle East) around 8 convention halls (Sial Paris is a huge show that only happens once every two years) and then trying to sleep in a hotel with no air conditioning...Being in Paris with no friends to hang out with. I went to the same convention two years early and had Fadi as my trusted guide....I missed having Fadi around. The French passport control agent wished me a happy birthday, I got a lot of nice messages on my facebook page, but truly dinner alone in Paris is not as romantic as it sounds...(I did enjoy the pepperoni pizza)...
I did run into several friends and made a couple of new ones in France. I spent some time with John Chiade and Sam Hodges (I buy American beef from Sam- Worked with him at Buckhead Beef....it is a small world)... While visiting their booth, Hani and Anis from Transmed walked up. I was greeted warmly by both, but it was awkward when Hani began to interrogate me. I am usually so quick with my quips, but this was awkward, and I was a deer in head lights. Well, I moved my career for valid reasons, and although I could say a lot of things, probably best if we move this blog along...Success will be the truest victory!
Speaking of good times and good friends...Let's talk about Hayley. Hayley took me out on Sunday night for my birthday dinner (Texas Roadhouse of course). During dinner she complained about Kelly being my favorite (I know, it makes me smile thinking two cute 20 somethings fighting for my friendship - OK, one, Kelly doesn't care about my other friendships...lol) according to Hayley I speak glowingly bout Kelly, for the record. I love Kelly and I love Hayley, trust me I have plenty of friendship love to share...lol, but back to our dinner, Hayley also complained that her eyes were hurting her (she has also been complaining a lot about headaches), so I did what every good true love friend would do, I went upstairs in the mall to the eye doctor with her. Well, too make a long story short,(I know - too late) The doctor (a rather strange gentleman) put her through a rigorous eye exam...

She looked goofy, so I did what any good loving pal would do (I would never do this to Kelly-lol) I took a picture and published it on a blog for our amusement. The Doctor kept the old is this better, or this better until Hayley got dizzy and finally ended the exam. Hayley visited another Doctor while I was in France and she has informed me that she is now sporting glasses, I can't wait to see them....
My other birthday treat, Vineet (Pooh) took me to lunch on Sunday, got me nice gift of Cologne. I guess my Indian friend was tired of being around a stinky American...lol. It was very nice, and of course he treated me to a nice Fuddrucker lunch.
Speaking of celebrations, today marks the beginning of Eid al-Adha. This is the biggest celebration for Muslims marking the testing of Abraham. This has to do with God testing Abraham, by ordering him to offer his son Ishmael as a sacrifice. Abraham couldn't bear to see his son die, so he was blind folded before he cut his throat. When he took his blind fold off, he discovered he had slit a Rams throat instead...God later reworded Abraham with another son (Isaac) for his faithfulness. So the Muslim world (and the UAE) is enjoying a three day festival, that will last longer than that. The malls are open 24 hours a day during the festivities. Faithful Muslims, have sheep sacrificed, offering a portion of the meat to feed the less fortunate. It is amazing to me, how similar the Old Testament of the Bible, the Koran, and the Torah are all so similar with their teachings...It is amazing that there is so much divisiveness between the religions, we share the same God...
So if you have any Muslim friends (like I do), make sure you great them with an Eid Mubarak(Happy Eid) during the next three days, they will appreciate it.
Well I am sick during my Eid. I guess the jet setting and massive exposure to germs during my travels wore the old defense system down. So I am popping Advil cold and sinus medicine and will stay hunkered down until I return to work on Sunday. I did go to Spinney's and get some shaved ham and fresh home style bread to make ham and cheese sandwich's with. The Ham cost $49.25 a pound...lol, it was Belgian, and not that great....but the ham and cheese sandwiches made for a nice treat on my sick day. The guilty pleasures that I reward myself with....Well enjoy your weekend, God Willing, I will see you back here next week....
Eid Mubarak!

No comments:

Post a Comment