Friday, July 22, 2011

Out of the fryer into the frying pan...

It's just after 11 am here and it's already 104 degrees outside. I know my weekly groaning about the weather, well I feel for you back in the states. I have been watching the news about the weather back in the states and sounds like the Midwest and Southeast is feeling a lot like where I am at in the Mid East. The long hot summer continues, I hope the heat wave in the states takes a break while I am home in August, and yes would it be too much to ask for a little rain while I am home?
My search for a new apartment is over. I found a new apartment complex near the Mall of Emirates (5 minutes from where Nick lives) and I move in September 1st. I did have to pay for a year in advance, the weird way they do rents here because of the high number of expats, but in the end I like it better than my current apartment, and I save over $300 a month in rent. The apartment developer is German, but their whole pitch was based on how the apartment was built to strict American standards. I will bore you with more details in future blogs.
Speaking of Nick, his bride and son leave for the states on Monday. They found better air fares from Abu Dhabi to the U.S. (Chicago). Mimi is coming back on August 30th (just in time to help me move in my new digs...lol). I have heard through the grapevine that Cowboy is still reading the blog in the states. I thought about him yesterday at the warehouse. We have a brand new Texas Roadhouse opening in Dubai Mall in August and they have their Kitchen Manager here from the US. He was wearing his stetson and cowboy boots. We did have a new Red Lobster open in Dubal Mall, Kelly and I tried it out. The garlic-cheese biscuits were the first biscuits I had eaten in over a year (since I had Cracker Barrel with Danny Messimer last Fourth of July).
There are a few places that I want to make sure I eat at while in the US. Cracker Barrel and Chick-fil-a are the two that come to mind first. I find myself eating a lot at the American eateries here, but Chili's, Ruby Tuesdays, Papa Johns and McDonald's only go so far. Coming to Dubai within the next 6 months are Texas Roadhouse, Cheesecake Factory and IHOP. Variety is the spice of life. That is of course if it's American Restaurant variety.
Rodz leaves for the Philippians today. I am picking her up at the airport on August 24th. Ramadan starts back on August 1st. I won't blog about it today, save something for the next time. Two weeks from right now, I will be flying over the Atlantic approaching JFK. I hope a government shut down won't effect my trip. Just something else to worry about.
Until next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment