Friday, March 30, 2012

Fred is back...

Well, after I finally woke Fred up at 1:30pm, he is now ready to guest blog...so returning to Dubai, just so he can guest blog....Heeeerrreees Fred....

"If you know me, you know that i am quiet and a man of not many words.  You may guess then that blogging was not on my bucket list.  John is a great host but the toll he exacts for the hospitality is this painful exercise at the end of the week.  Since this is my second trip to Dubai and we did all the tourist things last time, this trip was about rest and relaxation.  As a means of relating my trip to John's readers I thought I would share the international tour that has been our meals this week.  Upon my arrival on Friday we made a stop on the way home from the airport for a taste of the UK at London's Fish and Chips.  Saturday was a taste of the southwest at Chilis for lunch and a taste of Italy for supper at a local pizza joint (beef pepperoni is not the same as pork).  One note off subject, my spelling is no better than John's and you do not realize how much you miss spell check until it is not available.  Sunday was a taste of the orient at a Thai restaurant in the Holiday Inn.  Monday it was back to the far east at P F Changs.  Tuesday was a very special meal, John's favorite restaurant, Texas Roadhouse!  It is amazing the unique and special cuisine you can only find in the middle east.  Wednesday John had a work function at night so he came and got me for lunch with his coworker Kelly at a real unique place, TGI Fridays.  This was real special for three reasons, one was having lunch with Kelly, two is that the Fridays in Maryville closed last year and it was one of my favorites and finally this particular Fridays has a window that looks out on the indoor ski slope.  A little surreal to be having traditional American fare in the middle east looking out the window at skiers swooshing by.  After John's event that evening he treated me to a chicken sandwich at Wendy's.  On Thursday we had lunch again this time at Hardee's.  Thursday's supper was the one I looked the most forward to all week.  A true middle eastern meal at a Lebanese restaurant called Al Safadi.  Another of John's coworkers, Eli Saber, ordered traditional dishes Lebanese style (like family style in America) and it was really good.  Of all the things we did last year when I was here, dinner with Eli and his family was my favorite.  I will have to say that while I missed the rest of his family, dinner with Eli has been my favorite this year.  Today we had lunch at another unique restaurant, Red Lobster.  Yes we had lunch before the blog so sorry you had to wait.  For those of you who know John, which I assume is all of you or why are you reading this blog, it will not surprise you that he has our meals planned for the rest of my stay.  Although I can't comment on the experience yet to happen, I will tell you were we plan to go.  Tonight it is Hard Rock, Dubai.  Tomorrow is lunch at Fuddruckers and dinner at Beni Hanas Japanese steak house as we make one more trip to the far east.  My farewell meal on Sunday will be our first repeat.  See if you can guess......John's favorite...........Texas Roadhouse.  You may have noticed the number of American chain resturants on our list.  Maybe somewhat due to us being Americans, but the real reason is the American chains are the only ones that give free soda refills.  The one disappointment for the trip is we were suppose to do a desert safari today, but all the participants canceled on us so we had to scuttle the idea.  Considering it is 102 degrees today it may not be the worst break.  I hope this was enough rambling for you dear readers of John's blog.  John is watching American Idol and I need to finish and get ready for the end of our Spartacus prequel season viewing.  Talk to you all again next year."

Well Fred's visit is in the final couple of days...After proofing it (I need a proofer) I realized why I am eating my way through my time in Dubai. I have a couple of more day's with my pal....catch you next week...

No comments:

Post a Comment