Friday, August 31, 2012

Becoming a "Barakatisti"

On this last day of August (111 right now), I have begun to dream about the cooler days of fall. I have finally settled into a comfort zone with my new career. I say career, because the difference between working for Barakat verses Transmed is truly a feel for career. I always felt that I was a mercenary at Transmed, training and working until some Lebanese employee would be ready to take my job and begin his career. That differs for me now, I feel like I have found a company home. It is up to me to make the best of it. I have the responsibility to grow the sales team and sales and I am formulating those plans in my thick noggin and the haze is lifting as to what needs to be done.
My former company is having some struggles with personnel and numbers. Margins and sales are way down (single digit for both), and the employee exodus from sales has begun -it's too bad...but we must move on..
I have begun to meet with the sales managers and team members in the three companies that I am now responsible for. There is a rich (yet brief history) that has the employees of Barakat happy and loyal. The CEO (JR) is a rather interesting Gentlemen and he has begun to share his thoughts and views on life and business as we meet almost daily. Story of JR and Barakat 
I know, I am getting this blogging thingy down...lol.
If you have ever worked in a farmers market, it is a rather interesting place. The smells and the hustle as the workers unload and redistribute produce is fascinating and fast paced. Fresh fruits and vegetables arrive from all over the world daily.
My new office boy (Depesh), still brings me fresh Strawberries everyday, and our juice company stocks my office refrigerator with a variety of juices that are made fresh daily at our plant in Jebal Ali (yes - always have strawberry juice as one of my choices).
I am juggling several projects already (interviewing potential suppliers, reviewing equipment plans for our new Food service facility opening in the spring of 2013, interviewing prospective salespeople for all three companies and working on new software-reporting for our corporation...my plate is full...but my glass is half full, it's going well...
On the tv front (more than half my social life-lol), the fall season is beginning. Season 5 of True Blood starts this weekend, and later this month Boardwalk Empire and Survivor (Philippines this season...hhmmm -yes I may have to invite friends to watch -lol). The NFL starts next week (get lots of games!) and my Reds are headed towards the playoffs (got the Internet package for $10 for rest of season), so watching lots of baseball now! On the friend front, Kelly, Muzzy, Hayley and I find time for each other regularly (separately). Last night Hayley and I dined at our favorite Thai Diner (Royal Buddha at the Holiday Inn Al Barsha) - where I of course kept up my banter with my favorite Asian Server E.E.
She tries so hard to please us...I complain about everything....she is always flustered and Hayley plays a great straight man to my musings with my diminutive friend. She now gives us a 25% discount for being her "favorite" diners. Sadly, Hayley and I are tiring of the food, but not E.E.
I am so pleased that Hurricane Isaac is headed to the Midwest and maybe begin to end America's draught. The price of corn and soybeans has soared on the world markets because of the draught, effecting pricing of beef and oils here in the Mideast. It is a small world. I also enjoyed watching the Republican Convention this week. the eyes of the world are on America...
This weeks shout out goes to...Sam Messimer...Yes Danny's cousin that I haven't seen in well over 20 years reads this silly blog. Go figure, it was nice to get an email from Sam, now some of the rest of you "Adventure" followers, drop me a note, and tell me what you want to hear about....stories about the "keystone cops" here - Last week caught in a massive traffic delay at a huge round about. The traffic lights were out. Finally saw the police that could have been directing traffic lined up (3 car fulls of cops) with their lights on, parked in front of the signal box watching the repairman work, while cars honked and merged as angry drivers tried to force their way into the rush hour traffic...sigh.
Or the local cultural stories (Big Indian Holiday this past Wednesday - traditional dress and celebration - just whatever interests you, please let me know!....Have a great holiday weekend back in the States....This blog will have to be a "shortie" - your welcome Rodz.

No comments:

Post a Comment