Saturday, August 7, 2010

Saturday chores and treats....

Well the weekend is winding down, and I still have a few things to get accomplished to get settled in. As you may recall, in Dubai, Thursday is Friday, Friday is Sunday (Holy day) Sunday is Monday, Tuesday is hump day and Saturday truly is Saturday. So as I write this on Saturday evening, in the back of my mind is that I have to go to work in the morning.
My buddy and boss Bob and I were quite domestic this weekend. I just returned from his apartment on the fifth floor where we dined on fresh green beans, rosemary potato's, and a bone-in prime rib roast. It was delicious. We also had a fresh baguette, the bread here is plentiful and very affordable (fresh baguette cost 90 fills (30 cents). We have a little market in the base of our apartment, but we have discovered that it is more affordable to drive 10 minutes to the "Hyper-Panda" to get our groceries (Mideast Wal-mart superstore). They are having a "Ramadan" sale. Ramadan starts this week, and it is interesting although not the best of times for a Christian to be here...look forward to Ramadan news....
Those of you that know me really well, know that I have an addiction to Diet Pepsi. I drank way too much of it....well not anymore...the Mideast version is not good at all. like a bad diet big K cola....my consumption is way down, and I fear I may have to switch to Coca Cola Light...earth shattering to say the least....
I bought plates, bowls and flatwear today, I still need a couple of tables and lamps and maybe a rug or two. Next weekend I want to be finished with this. I did take my first real pictures and posted them on Face book. I tried to post them here first, sadly technology is on my long list of weaknesses.
Work was not smooth last week, the reason I am here hit me upside my head. Sunday, I am traveling for the first time to the Capital of the UAE - Abu Dabbi (spelling on that challenging list also). It is the second largest city and the capital of the UAE, but is not as developed. It is about an hour and a half drive on the "Shek Toll road".
The heat is borderline unbearable. It is averaging 115 degrees during the day and at night it plummets into the low 90's. The heat peaks in late August, I hope I don't melt....3 months of hell heat hopefully will be offset by 9 months of "resort" temperatures. When you come and visit me (hint hint) it should be between September and May.
I am getting used to cable TV, it is government run and controlled and censored. Although on the movie stations you may see an occasional bit of nudity. They are rerunning "True blood" the HBO series that I really enjoy. they are in the middle of Season 2 here (Season 3 is half over in the states) but I have discovered that my "sexy vampire show" isn't quite as sexy without as much nudity. Just as funny, the International version of FTV "Fashion TV" is not at all censored. Too funny....
Time to go, hopefully I am not boring you to tears....

Best Regards,
John

1 comment:

  1. hope your d-pepsi withdrawal doesn't kill ya...beware of headaches...stay hydrated.... DRINK WATER!

    ^5 on unwavering faith & friendships and kudos to bob.

    until i make that visit (thanx for the invite) konechiwa & ciao bella *lol*

    ReplyDelete